The Digestive System’s BodyMind connection:
The colon is the first place in the body to feel tension, so any changes in the reality around us that are difficult to digest will be felt here.
Here you absorb everything that is happening to you along with your feelings, sensations, and experiences, and eliminate what you do not want, physically and emotionally.
The Digestive System is a wonderful monitor of your emotional balance. Why is there stress in the belly?
Where and how do you obtain nourishment? Through food or through love? Do you eat the same food when you are happy as when you are depressed?
What are the basic emotions your organs can hold?
- Stomach-holds sympathy and worry it likes to be in control and wants to rule. The stomach reacts to our social life, how we see ourselves in relation to others.
- Spleen-worry, thinking too much, obsessed with details. Compassion and sympathy are associated with the spleen.
- Gallbladder-holds jealousy and envy (green with envy)
- Pancreas-holds anxiety and worry, similar to the spleen
- Liver-holds the emotion of anger, resentment, and hostility
- Kidneys-hold the emotion of fear loss, of will, especially when we face adversity. They control fear and courage.
- Intestines-hold the emotion of grief, it wants to control and does not have the ability to let go. A weak large intestine causes people to lose determination and courage. Continual dissatisfaction.
- Heart-holds the emotion of love. Feelings of compassion or rejection being blocked in receiving love.
- Lungs-Hold the emotion of grief and hurts where love is concerned, anxiety, depression, and hysteria.
- Place your right hand on your chest and your left hand on your belly. As you take a deep breath “in” your lower belly, the left hand should move OUT. Your shoulders should stay relaxed and stay soft. On your out-breath say to yourself “May I have peace”. Mindful breath moves negative energy out of the body creating clarity and relaxation.
- K-27 points: Locate the points by finding your collar bone, drop down 2 inches. Stimulate the left side with your right hand, stimulate the right side with your left hand at the same time 10x’s. These points are used to bring your energy back up if you are feeling fatigued.
- Constipation point: bend your left wrist to the side of the little finger a crease will appear at the wrist. You will feel a hollow at the thickest part of the crease, that is your point. Gently stimulate this point back and forth 30 x’s. This point is only on the left wrist.
- Releasing the diaphragm: Gently place your hands at the center of the ribcage just below the breast bone about one inch. Lightly start to pull down with each out-breath – underneath the ribs tracing from the center of the ribcage out to the left side come back to the center and do the same on the right side.
- Sun and Moon Massage: Place your hands on the belly, the thumbs are together at the naval and the palms are flat against the skin. Slide the palms across the skin slowly in a clockwise direction. The right hand maintains constant contact with the skin. The left hand is moving the same direction and will slide over the right hand. Repeat about 30 x’s.
- Vibration Movement: Place both hands underneath the abdomen, have them take a deep breath and on the exhalation gently shake and vibrate the body, then pull up towards the ceiling, repeat 3 x’s. This will calm the body and facilitate better digestion. The organs work better when the tissue is relaxed.
Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only. We do not diagnose or treat any physical or emotional condition. Seek the advice of your physician before beginning this or any other health program. The advice and strategies contained herein may not be suitable for your situation. You should consult with a physician where appropriate.